Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan
September 23, 2016
Offering personalized attention to students, the University of Northern Iowa will be a diverse and inclusive campus community that provides an engaged education empowering students to lead locally and globally.
Within a challenging and supportive environment, the University of Northern Iowa engages students in high-quality and high-impact learning experiences and emphasizes excellence in teaching and scholarship.
As a university community we are guided by the following core values:
The freedom of inquiry and expression in teaching and scholarship.
An inclusive educational environment that is accessible and affordable.
A commitment to integrity, responsibility, and the highest ethical standards integrated into all University practices.
A commitment to work together to achieve our shared vision, mission, and goals.
A caring and safe community, characterized by civility and respect, which stands in solidarity against any actions that exclude, discriminate against, or silence members of our community.
The cultivation of a diverse and inclusive learning and work environment.
Active participation in transformative, innovative, and lifelong learning in service to humanity.
A commitment to the pursuit of excellence in individual and collective endeavors.
A vibrant community and campus that is economically sound, environmentally responsible, and socially just.
Unifying Goal: Student Success
Develop and support engaged learning experiences, dynamic and high-quality academic programs, and outstanding faculty and staff to foster student success.
- Enhance and increase engaged student learning and high-impact experiences on and off campus, inside and outside of the classroom.
- Introduce new academic programs, including interdisciplinary programs, in a timely fashion, and complete ongoing evaluation of all academic programs.
- Strengthen the liberal arts core to provide a foundation for all majors.
- Recruit, develop, and retain outstanding faculty and staff, and recognize and support service, teaching and scholarship.
- Advance knowledge through all forms of scholarship and creative endeavors.
- Retention rates of students
- Retention rates of faculty and staff
- Placement rates
- Graduation rates
- Time to degree
- Number of interdisciplinary programs
- Enrollment in interdisciplinary programs
Supporting Goal 1: Diversity and Inclusion
Provide a campus culture that reflects and values the evolving diversity of society and promotes inclusion.
- Attract and retain diverse students, faculty, and staff who are integrated into the campus community.
- Build and strengthen relationships with underrepresented populations in Waterloo, the Cedar Valley, and Iowa to increase diversity.
- Build and strengthen multicultural and international relationships in the United States and abroad.
- Provide a diversity experience for all students and deliver programs, services, and events to educate for and celebrate diversity on campus.
- Provide an inclusive decision-making process with broad communication and discussion.
- Number of applications by students of color and members of other underrepresented populations
- Retention rates of students of color and members of other underrepresented populations vs. general population
- Graduation rates of students of color and members of other underrepresented populations
- Number and percent of faculty, staff, students, and administrators of color and members of other underrepresented populations
- Campus Climate Survey trends
- Financial aid trends
Supporting Goal 2: Campus Vitality
Enhance resource and facility development to provide an enriched campus life experience which is both environmentally and fiscally responsible.
- Adopt a holistic approach to campus well-being that supports the recruitment, retention, health, and safety of students, faculty and staff.
- Support academic success by addressing building and infrastructure needs through renewal, maintenance, and upgrades focused on sustainability and efficiency.
- Continuously improve the quality of services seeking the most efficient and effective delivery method.
- Enhance revenue streams to the University in order to maintain access and affordability.
- Support intentional student engagement in the various stages of students’ academic careers through curricular, co-curricular, and extra-curricular activities.
- Energy usage
- Waste to landfill
- Faculty and staff development
- External funding
- Crime statistics
- Healthiest State Initiative
Supporting Goal 3: Community Engagement
Create opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to build external relationships that enhance local and global learning experiences and contribute to the cultural and economic vitality of the Cedar Valley and Iowa.
- Build and strengthen relationships and partnerships with Cedar Valley and statewide businesses, organizations, and educational institutions to increase diverse experiences and embrace the changing demographics and economic base of Iowa.
- Provide all students with a community engagement experience.
- Establish a central access point for community engagement to improve communication and promote campus engagement and participation.
- Reward and support faculty and staff outreach and community engagement.
- Volunteer hours by students, faculty, and staff
- Community projects by students, faculty, and staff
- Businesses and communities served
- Community engagement experiences